Sunday, August 6, 2017

Mak Chang Korean Restaurant



This Korean barbecue meetup has been set months even before Gretzen's arrival. She came home for a week from Tokyo where she is currently based for work.

Rej and I met up in Ortigas last Friday and then picked up Gretzen at the Mall of Asia. Our chosen restaurant for this meetup: Mak Chang at Macapagal Boulevard in Pasay.

I suggested that we try this Korean restaurant because as I've heard, it was cheaper than most KBBQ places. With the number of Korean restaurants sprouting these days, it's kind of a challenge to find one that I can get the most value for my money.

And I think we hit a right spot this time. Mak Chang is the right place for it. We ordered the following:

  • One order of samgyeupsal
  • One order of chadolbagi
  • One sundubu-jjigae (my Korean resto experience is not complete without this!)
  • Two orders of rice (sundubu already comes with rice)

Their banchan included five refillable small dishes, plus one gyeran-jjim (steamed egg). I was surprised that the steamed egg was included, because in other Korean restos you still have to order it separately. And that would cost another Php150-180 on your bill.


Taste


There's nothing on the table that I was not happy about. What I enjoyed the most is their kimchi, the generous serving of (good quality) lettuce, and the salad included in the banchan.

Sundubu-jjigae had a bigger serving compared to others, although I personally found it soupy. I know it's supposed to be like that because it's a stew, but I guess I was looking for richness. Of course, I'm no expert, but I'm just trying to differentiate it from the ones I've tasted before. It was still good, okay? :)

Upon first sight, their samgyeupsal looked like it had a lot of fat. But when cooked, I didn't taste a layer of fat at all. It was so good especially in ssam (wrapped in lettuce).

Just one thing at the bottom of this list is the rice. I thought it was a bit dry. Still negligible though, especially when I drown it with sundubu-jjigae (which is the bessttt!).


Ambiance


It didn't need to be fancy, because most of good Korean restos I've been to are not, but it also wouldn't hurt if the place is better-lit.


Comfort


We sat on stools, which could have been better if we had something to rest our backs to after pigging out.


Price


This is where Mak Chang undeniably wins. Our total bill was only Php1,030! With good food for three, plus a good amount of serving, you will definitely get value for your money here.


The Verdict


4 out of 5 stars.

Hahaha it's really the best when the price is cheap and you get good food. Would definitely come back! Perhaps, at their Malate branch next time :)



Mak Chang
HK Sun Plaza, D. Macapagal Blvd., Pasay City

No comments:

Post a Comment